Pronunciation: (koun'tur-point"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/counterpoint.html on line 73 [key]
1. Music.the art of combining melodies.
2. Music.the texture resulting from the combining of individual melodic lines.
3. a melody composed to be combined with another melody.
4. Also called coun'terpoint rhythm". Pros.syncopation (def. 2).
5. any element that is juxtaposed and contrasted with another.
to emphasize or clarify by contrast or juxtaposition.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.