Pronunciation: (koun'tur-poiz"), [key]
—n., v., -poised, -pois•ing.
1. a counterbalancing weight.
2. any equal and opposing power or force.
3. the state of being in equilibrium; balance.
4. Radio.a network of wires or other conductors connected to the base of an antenna, used as a substitute for the ground connection.
1. to balance by an opposing weight; counteract by an opposing force.
2. to bring into equilibrium.
3. Archaic.to weigh (one thing) against something else; consider carefully.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.