Pronunciation: (kûr'tu-sē or, for 5, kûrt'sē), [key]
—n., pl. -sies,
1. excellence of manners or social conduct; polite behavior.
2. a courteous, respectful, or considerate act or expression.
3. indulgence, consent, or acquiescence: a “colonel” by courtesy rather than by right.
4. favor, help, or generosity: The costumes for the play were by courtesy of the local department store.
5. a curtsy.
1. done or performed as a matter of courtesy or protocol: a courtesy call on the mayor.
2. offered or provided free by courtesy of the management: While waiting to board the airplane, we were provided with courtesy coffee.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.