Pronunciation: (krisp), [key]
—adj., -er, -est,
1. (esp. of food) hard but easily breakable; brittle: crisp toast.
2. (esp. of food) firm and fresh; not soft or wilted: a crisp leaf of lettuce.
3. brisk; sharp; clear; decided: a crisp reply.
4. lively; pithy; sparkling: crisp repartee.
5. clean-cut, neat, and well-pressed; well-groomed.
6. bracing; invigorating: crisp air.
7. crinkled, wrinkled, or rippled, as skin or water.
8. in small, stiff, or firm curls; curly.
1. to make or become crisp.
2. to curl.
1. Chiefly Brit.See potato chip.
2. a dessert of fruit, as apples or apricots, baked with a crunchy mixture, usually of bread crumbs, chopped nutmeats, butter, and brown sugar.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.