Pronunciation: (krô'sing, kros'ing), [key]
1. the act of a person or thing that crosses.
2. a place where lines, streets, tracks, etc., cross each other.
3. a place at which a road, railroad track, river, etc., may be crossed.
4. hybridization; crossbreeding.
5. the act of opposing or thwarting; frustration; contradiction.
6. the intersection of nave and transept in a cruciform church.
7. Railroads.a track structure composed of four connected frogs, permitting two tracks to cross each other at grade with sufficient clearance for wheel flanges.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.