Pronunciation: (kOO'kOO, kook'OO), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/cuckoo.html on line 77 [key]
—n., pl. -oos,
—v., -ooed, -oo•ing,
1. a common European bird, Cuculus canorus, of the family Cuculidae, noted for its characteristic call and its brood parasitism.
2. any of several other birds of the family Cuculidae.
3. the call of the cuckoo, or an imitation of it.
4. Slang.a crazy, silly, or foolish person; simpleton.
to utter the call of the cuckoo or an imitation of it.
to repeat monotonously.
1. Slang.crazy; silly; foolish.
2. of, pertaining to, or like a cuckoo.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.