Pronunciation: (kut'out"), [key]
1. something cut out from something else, as a pattern or figure cut out or intended to be cut out of paper, cardboard, or other material.
2. a valve in the exhaust pipe of an internal-combustion engine, which when open permits the engine to exhaust directly into the air ahead of the muffler.
3. an act or instance of cutting out.
4. Slang.a trusted intermediary between two espionage agents or agencies.
5. Elect.a device for the manual or automatic interruption of electric current.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.