Pronunciation: (dab'ul), [key]
—v., -bled, -bling.
1. to play and splash in or as if in water, esp. with the hands.
2. to work at anything in an irregular or superficial manner: to dabble in literature.
3. (of a duck) to feed on shallow-water vegetation with rapid, splashing movements of the bill.
1. to wet slightly in or with a liquid; splash; spatter.
2. Chiefly South Midland U.S.to wash or rinse off lightly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.