Pronunciation: (dâr'ē), [key]
—n., pl. dair•ies,
1. an establishment, as a room, building, or buildings, where milk and cream are kept and butter and cheese are made.
2. a shop or company that sells milk, butter, etc.
3. the business of a dairy farm, concerned with the production and treatment of milk and cream and the manufacture of butter and cheese.
4. See dairy farm.
5. (in Jewish dietary law) dairy products.
1. of or pertaining to a dairy or a dairy farm.
2. of, for, or pertaining to milk, cream, butter, cheese, etc.: dairy products; the dairy case at a supermarket.
3. (in Jewish dietary law) of or pertaining to those foods, including all milk products, eggs, fish, vegetables, etc., that may be eaten at a meal in which milk is served, in contrast to meat and meat products, which may not.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.