Pronunciation: (dap), [key]
—v., dapped, dap•ping,
1. to fish by letting the bait fall lightly on the water.
2. to dip lightly or suddenly into water: The bird dapped for the fish.
3. to bounce or skip, as on the surface of a body of water: The stone dapped along the surface of the pond.
1. to cause to dip in and out of water: to dap one's bait.
2. to cause to skip along the surface of water: to dap stones across the river.
3. Carpentry.to notch (a timber) to receive part of another timber.
Carpentry.a notch in a timber for receiving part of another timber.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.