Pronunciation: (därt), [key]
1. a small, slender missile that is pointed at one end and usually feathered at the other and is propelled by hand, as in the game of darts, or by a blowgun when used as a weapon.
2. something similar in function to such a missile, as the stinging member of an insect.
3. darts, (used with a sing. v.) a game in which darts are thrown at a target usually marked with concentric circles divided into segments and with a bull's-eye in the center.
4. an act of darting; a sudden swift movement.
5. a tapered seam of fabric for adjusting the fit of a garment.
to move swiftly; spring or start suddenly and run swiftly: A mouse darted out of the closet and ran across the room.
to thrust or move suddenly or rapidly: He darted his eyes around the room.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.