Pronunciation: (dā'vid for 1, 2, 5; Fr. da vēd' for 3, 5; Sp. dä-vē&thslash;' for 4, 5), [key]
1. died c970 b.c., the second king of Israel, reigned c1010–c970, successor to Saul: slayer of the Philistine giant Goliath.
2. Saint. Also called Dewi Sant. a.d. c510–601?, Welsh bishop: patron saint of Wales.
3. Jacques Louis Pronunciation: (zhäk lwē), [key] 1748–1825, French painter.
4. a city in SW Panama. 70,700.
5. a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “beloved.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.