Pronunciation: (deb'it), [key]
1. the recording or an entry of debt in an account.
a. that which is entered in an account as a debt; a recorded item of debt.
b. any entry or the total shown on the debit side.
c. the left-hand side of an account on which such entries are made (opposed to credit).
3. an undesirable or disadvantageous feature.
1. to charge with a debt: The store debited her account for the purchase.
2. to charge as a debt: The store debited the purchase to her account.
3. Bookkeeping.to enter upon the debit side of an account.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.