Pronunciation: (dā-byOO', di-, dā'byOO, deb'yOO), [key]
1. a first public appearance on a stage, on television, etc.
2. the first appearance of something, as a new product.
3. (of a young woman) a formal introduction and entrance into society, as at an annual ball.
4. the beginning of a profession, career, etc.
1. to make a debut, as in society or in a performing art: She decided to debut with several other violinists.
2. to appear for the first time, as on the market: A new product will debut next month.
1. to perform (something) for the first time before an audience: He didn't know when the orchestra would debut his new symphony.
2. to place on the market for the first time; introduce.
of, pertaining to, or constituting a first appearance: a debut performance; a debut record album. Also,dé•but'.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.