Pronunciation: (di-fīn'), [key]
—v. -fined, -fin•ing.
1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define “liberal.”
2. to explain or identify the nature or essential qualities of; describe: to define judicial functions.
3. to fix or lay down definitely; specify distinctly: to define one's responsibilities.
4. to determine or fix the boundaries or extent of: to define property with stakes.
5. to make clear the outline or form of: The roof was boldly defined against the sky.
to set forth the meaning of a word, phrase, etc.; construct a definition.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.