—v.del'i-gāt"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/delegate.html on line 79 [key]
—n., v., -gat•ed, -gat•ing.
1. a person designated to act for or represent another or others; deputy; representative, as in a political convention.
2. (formerly) the representative of a Territory in the U.S. House of Representatives.
3. a member of the lower house of the state legislature of Maryland, Virginia, or West Virginia.
1. to send or appoint (a person) as deputy or representative.
2. to commit (powers, functions, etc.) to another as agent or deputy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.