Pronunciation: (den), [key]
—n., v., denned, den•ning.
1. the lair or shelter of a wild animal, esp. a predatory mammal.
2. a room, often secluded, in a house or apartment, designed to provide a quiet, comfortable, and informal atmosphere for conversation, reading, writing, etc.
3. a cave used as a place of shelter or concealment.
4. a squalid or vile abode or place: dens of misery.
5. one of the units of a cub scout pack, analogous to a patrol in the Boy Scouts.
1. to drive or pursue (an animal) into its den.
2. to kill (an animal) inside its den.
to live in or as if in a den.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.