Pronunciation: (di-nom"u-nā'shun), [key]
1. a religious group, usually including many local churches, often larger than a sect: the Lutheran denomination.
2. one of the grades or degrees in a series of designations of quantity, value, measure, weight, etc.: He paid $500 in bills of small denomination.
3. a name or designation, esp. one for a class of things.
4. a class or kind of persons or things distinguished by a specific name.
5. the act of naming or designating a person or thing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.