Pronunciation: (di-pend'), [key]
1. to rely; place trust (usually fol. by on or upon): You may depend on the accuracy of the report.
2. to rely for support, maintenance, help, etc. (usually fol. by on or upon): Children depend on their parents.
3. to be conditioned or contingent (usually fol. by on or upon): His success here depends upon effort and ability.
4. to be undetermined or pending: I may go to Europe or I may not, it all depends.
5. Gram.(of a word or other linguistic form) to be subordinate to another linguistic form in the same construction; to form a part of a construction other than the head.
6. to hang down; be suspended (usually fol. by from): The chandelier depends from the ceiling of the ballroom.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.