Pronunciation: (dep"u-zish'un, dē"pu-), [key]
1. removal from an office or position.
2. the act or process of depositing: deposition of the documents with the Library of Congress.
3. the state of being deposited or precipitated: deposition of soil at the mouth of a river.
4. something that is deposited.
a. the giving of testimony under oath.
b. the testimony so given.
c. a statement under oath, taken down in writing, to be used in court in place of the spoken testimony of the witness.
a. the interment of the body of a saint.
b. the reinterment of the body or the relics of a saint.
7. (cap.) a work of art depicting Christ being lowered from the Cross.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.