Pronunciation: (dûr'bē; Brit.där'bē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/derby.html on line 75 [key]
1. a race for three-year-old horses that is run annually at Epsom Downs, near London, England: first run in 1780.
2. any of certain other important annual horse races, usually for three-year-old horses, esp. the Kentucky Derby.
3. (l.c.) a race or contest, usually one open to all who wish to enter and offering a prize for the winner.
4. (l.c.) any endeavor or venture regarded as a competition: to win the gubernatorial derby.
5. (l.c.) Also called bowler. a stiff felt hat with rounded crown and narrow brim, worn chiefly by men.
Pronunciation: (dûr'bē; for 1, 2 also Brit. där'bē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/derby.html on line 125 [key]
1. a city in Derbyshire, in central England. 215,200.
3. a city in S Connecticut. 12,346.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.