Pronunciation: (di-tûr'min), [key]
—v., -mined, -min•ing.
1. to settle or decide (a dispute, question, etc.) by an authoritative or conclusive decision.
2. to conclude or ascertain, as after reasoning, observation, etc.
3. Geom.to fix the position of.
4. to cause, affect, or control; fix or decide causally: Demand for a product usually determines supply.
5. to give direction or tendency to; impel.
6. Logic.to limit (a notion) by adding differentiating characteristics.
7. Chiefly Law.to put an end to; terminate.
8. to lead or bring (a person) to a decision.
9. to decide upon.
1. to come to a decision or resolution; decide.
2. Chiefly Law.to come to an end.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.