—adj., n.dē'vē-it), [key]
—v., -at•ed, -at•ing,
1. to turn aside, as from a route, way, course, etc.
2. to depart or swerve, as from a procedure, course of action, or acceptable norm.
3. to digress, as from a line of thought or reasoning.
to cause to swerve; turn aside.
characterized by deviation or departure from an accepted norm or standard, as of behavior.
1. a person or thing that departs from the accepted norm or standard.
2. a person whose sexual behavior departs from the norm in a way that is considered socially or morally unacceptable.
3. Statistics.a variable equal to the difference between a variate and some fixed value, often the mean.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.