Pronunciation: (di-vīs'), [key]
1. a thing made for a particular purpose; an invention or contrivance, esp. a mechanical or electrical one.
2. a plan or scheme for effecting a purpose.
3. a crafty scheme; trick.
4. a particular word pattern, figure of speech, combination of word sounds, etc., used in a literary work to evoke a desired effect or arouse a desired reaction in the reader: rhetorical devices.
5. something elaborately or fancifully designed.
6. a representation or design used as a heraldic charge or as an emblem, badge, trademark, or the like.
7. a motto.
8. Archaic.devising; invention.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.