Pronunciation: (dOO'ē, dyOO'ē), [key]
1. George, 1837–1917, U.S. admiral: defeated Spanish fleet in Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War.
2. John, 1859–1952, U.S. philosopher and educator.
3. Mel•vil Pronunciation: (mel'vil), [key] (Melville Louis Kossuth Dewey), 1851–1931, U.S. educator, administrator, and innovator in the field of library science.
4. Thomas E(dmund), 1902–71, U.S. lawyer and political leader.
5. a male given name, form of David.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.