Pronunciation: (ding), [key]
1. to cause to make a ringing sound.
2. to speak about insistently.
1. to make a ringing sound.
2. to talk insistently.
a ringing sound.
Pronunciation: (ding), [key] Informal.
1. to cause surface damage to; dent: Flying gravel had dinged the car's fenders.
2. to strike with force; hit: The catcher was dinged on the shoulder by a wild throw.
3. to blackball: Only one freshman was dinged by the fraternity.
dent; nick: The surfboard has a few dings in it from scraping over rocks.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.