Pronunciation: (dis"u-bil'i-tē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/disability.html on line 73 [key]
—pl. -ties for 2.
1. lack of adequate power, strength, or physical or mental ability; incapacity.
2. a physical or mental handicap, esp. one that prevents a person from living a full, normal life or from holding a gainful job.
3. anything that disables or puts one at a disadvantage: His mere six-foot height will be a disability in professional basketball.
4. the state or condition of being disabled.
5. legal incapacity; legal disqualification.
6. See disability insurance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.