Pronunciation: (di-spyOOt'), [key]
—v., -put•ed, -put•ing,
1. to engage in argument or debate.
2. to argue vehemently; wrangle or quarrel.
1. to argue or debate about; discuss.
2. to argue against; call in question: to dispute a proposal.
3. to quarrel or fight about; contest.
4. to strive against; oppose: to dispute an advance of troops.
1. a debate, controversy, or difference of opinion.
2. a wrangling argument; quarrel.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.