Pronunciation: (dis"u-pā'shun), [key]
1. the act of dissipating.
2. the state of being dissipated; dispersion; disintegration.
3. a wasting by misuse: the dissipation of a fortune.
4. mental distraction; amusement; diversion.
5. dissolute way of living, esp. excessive drinking of liquor; intemperance.
6. Physics, Mech.a process in which energy is used or lost without accomplishing useful work, as friction causing loss of mechanical energy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.