Pronunciation: (di-stingkt'), [key]
1. distinguished as not being the same; not identical; separate (sometimes fol. by from): His private and public lives are distinct.
2. different in nature or quality; dissimilar (sometimes fol. by from): Gold is distinct from iron.
3. clear to the senses or intellect; plain; unmistakable: The ship appeared as a distinct silhouette.
4. distinguishing or perceiving clearly: distinct vision.
5. unquestionably exceptional or notable: a distinct honor.
6. Archaic.distinctively decorated or adorned.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.