Pronunciation: (di-vûr'zhun, -shun, dī-), [key]
1. the act of diverting or turning aside, as from a course or purpose: a diversion of industry into the war effort.
2. a channel made to divert the flow of water from one course to another or to direct the flow of water draining from a piece of ground.
3. Brit.a detour on a highway or road.
4. distraction from business, care, etc.; recreation; amusement; a pastime: Movies are his favorite diversion.
5. Mil.a feint intended to draw off attention from the point of main attack.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.