Pronunciation: (div'i-dend"), [key]
1. Math.a number that is to be divided by a divisor.
2. Law.a sum out of an insolvent estate paid to creditors.
a. a pro-rata share in an amount to be distributed.
b. a sum of money paid to shareholders of a corporation out of earnings.
4. Insurance.(in participating insurance) a distribution to a policyholder of a portion of the premium not needed by the company to pay claims or to meet expenses.
5. a share of anything divided.
6. anything received as a bonus, reward, or in addition to or beyond what is expected: Swimming is fun, and gives you the dividend of better health.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.