1. a written or printed paper furnishing information or evidence, as a passport, deed, bill of sale, or bill of lading; a legal or official paper.
2. any written item, as a book, article, or letter, esp. of a factual or informative nature.
3. a computer data file.
4. Archaic.evidence; proof.
1. to furnish with documents.
2. to furnish with references, citations, etc., in support of statements made: a carefully documented biography.
3. to support by documentary evidence: to document a case.
4. Naut.to provide (a vessel) with a certificate giving particulars concerning nationality, ownership, tonnage, dimensions, etc.
5. Obs.to instruct.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.