Pronunciation: (dōp), [key]
—n., v., doped, dop•ing.
1. any thick liquid or pasty preparation, as a lubricant, used in preparing a surface.
2. an absorbent material used to absorb and hold a liquid, as in the manufacture of dynamite.
a. any of various varnishlike products for coating a fabric, as of airplane wings, in order to make it waterproof, stronger, etc.
b. a similar product used to coat the fabric of a balloon to reduce gas leakage.
a. any narcotic or narcoticlike drug taken to induce euphoria or satisfy addiction.
b. any illicit drug.
5. Slang.a narcotic preparation given surreptitiously to a horse to improve or retard its performance in a race.
6. Slang.information, data, or news: What's the latest dope on the strike?
7. Informal.a stupid or unresponsive person.
8. Southern U.S. (chiefly South Atlantic States) soda pop, esp. cola-flavored.
9. North Central U.S. (chiefly Ohio). syrup used as a topping for ice cream.
1. Slang.to affect with dope or drugs.
2. to apply or treat with dope.
3. Electronics.to add or treat (a pure semiconductor) with a dopant.
1. Slang.to take drugs.
2. dope out, Slang.
a. to figure out; calculate; devise: to dope out a plan.
b. to deduce or infer from available information: to dope out a solution to a problem.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.