Pronunciation: (dōs), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/dose.html on line 73 [key]
—n., v., dosed, dos•ing.
1. a quantity of medicine prescribed to be taken at one time.
2. a substance, situation, or quantity of anything analogous to medicine, esp. of something disagreeable: Failing the exam was a hard dose to swallow.
3. an amount of sugar added in the production of champagne.
a. Also called absorbed dose. the quantity of ionizing radiation absorbed by a unit mass of matter, esp. living tissue: measured in gray or rad.
b. See exposure dose.
5. Slang.a case of gonorrhea or syphilis.
1. to administer in or apportion for doses.
2. to give a dose of medicine to.
3. to add sugar to (champagne) during production.
to take a dose of medicine.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.