Pronunciation: (doun'wurd), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/downward.html on line 77 [key]
1. Also,down'wards.from a higher to a lower place or condition.
2. down from a source or beginning: As the river flows downward, it widens.
3. from a past time, predecessor, or ancestor: The estate was handed downward from generation to generation.
1. moving or tending to a lower place or condition.
2. descending from a source or beginning.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.