Pronunciation: (dred), [key]
1. to fear greatly; be in extreme apprehension of: to dread death.
2. to be reluctant to do, meet, or experience: I dread going to big parties.
3. Archaic.to hold in respectful awe.
to be in great fear.
1. terror or apprehension as to something in the future; great fear.
2. a person or thing dreaded.
3. Archaic.deep awe or reverence.
1. greatly feared; frightful; terrible.
2. held in awe or reverential fear.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.