Pronunciation: (ēst), [key]
1. a cardinal point of the compass, 90° to the right of north. Abbr: E
2. the direction in which this point lies.
3. (usually cap.) a quarter or territory situated in this direction.
4. the East,
a. the parts of Asia collectively lying east of Europe and including Asia Minor, Syria, Arabia, India, China, etc.; the Orient.
b. the Far East.
c. (formerly) the Soviet Union and its allies.
d. the part of the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.
e. the part of the U.S. east of the Allegheny Mountains.
f. New England.
g. Ancient and Medieval Hist.the Eastern Roman Empire.
1. directed or proceeding toward the east.
2. coming from the east: an east wind.
3. lying toward or situated in the east: the east side.
4. Eccles.being at the end of the church where the high altar is: an east window.
to, toward, or in the east: an island located east of Sumatra; He went east.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.