Pronunciation: (ē'sturn), [key]
1. lying toward or situated in the east: the eastern half of the island.
2. directed or proceeding toward the east: an eastern route.
3. coming from the east: an eastern wind.
4. (often cap.) of or pertaining to the East in the U.S.: an eastern Congressman.
5. (cap.) of or pertaining to the Eastern Church or to any of the churches comprising it.
6. (usually cap.) Oriental.
7. (usually cap.) (formerly) of or pertaining to the Soviet Union and its allies.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.