Pronunciation: (ek'yoo-men'i-kul or, esp. Brit., ē'kyoo-), [key]
1. general; universal.
2. pertaining to the whole Christian church.
3. promoting or fostering Christian unity throughout the world.
4. of or pertaining to a movement (ecumenical movement), esp. among Protestant groups since the 1800s, aimed at achieving universal Christian unity and church union through international interdenominational organizations that cooperate on matters of mutual concern.
5. interreligious or interdenominational: an ecumenical marriage.
6. including or containing a mixture of diverse elements or styles; mixed: an ecumenical meal of German, Italian, and Chinese dishes. Also,ec"u•men'ic,oecumenical,oecumenic.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.