Pronunciation: (ef'urt), [key]
1. exertion of physical or mental power: It will take great effort to achieve victory.
2. an earnest or strenuous attempt: an effort to keep to the schedule.
3. something done by exertion or hard work: I thought it would be easy, but it was an effort.
4. an achievement, as in literature or art: The painting is one of his finest efforts.
5. the amount of exertion expended for a specified purpose: the war effort.
6. Chiefly Brit.
a. an organized community drive or achievement.
b. a fund-raising drive.
7. Mech.the force or energy that is applied to a machine for the accomplishment of useful work.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.