—adj., v., -rat•ed, -rat•ing.
1. worked out with great care and nicety of detail; executed with great minuteness: elaborate preparations; elaborate care.
2. marked by intricate and often excessive detail; complicated.
1. to work out carefully or minutely; develop to perfection.
2. to add details to; expand.
3. to produce or develop by labor.
4. Physiol.to convert (food, plasma, etc.) by means of chemical processes into a substance more suitable for use within the body.
to add details in writing, speaking, etc.; give additional or fuller treatment (usually fol. by on or upon): to elaborate upon a theme or an idea.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.