Pronunciation: (el'dur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/elder.html on line 75 [key]
—adj. a compar. of old with eldest as superl.
1. of greater age; older.
2. of higher rank; senior: an elder officer.
3. of or pertaining to former times; earlier: Much that was forbidden by elder custom is accepted today.
1. a person who is older or higher in rank than oneself.
2. an aged person.
3. an influential member of a tribe or community, often a chief or ruler; a superior.
4. a presbyter.
5. (in certain Protestant churches) a lay member who is a governing officer, often assisting the pastor in services.
6. Mormon Ch.a member of the Melchizedek priesthood.
Pronunciation: (el'dur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/elder.html on line 140 [key]
any tree or shrub belonging to the genus Sambucus, of the honeysuckle family, having pinnate leaves, clusters of white flowers, and red or black, berrylike fruit.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.