Pronunciation: (i-lek'trik), [key]
1. pertaining to, derived from, produced by, or involving electricity: an electric shock.
2. producing, transmitting, or operated by electric currents: an electric bell; electric cord.
3. electrifying; thrilling; exciting; stirring: The atmosphere was electric with excitement.
4. (of a musical instrument)
a. producing sound by electrical or electronic means: an electric piano.
b. equipped with connections to an amplifier-loudspeaker system: an electric violin.
a. an electric locomotive.
b. Informal.a railroad operated by electricity.
2. electricity: residential users of gas and electric.
3. something, as an appliance, vehicle, or toy, operated by electricity.
4. Archaic.a substance that is a nonconductor of electricity, as glass or amber, used to store or to excite an electric charge.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.