Pronunciation: (el'u-vā"tur), [key]
1. a person or thing that elevates or raises.
2. a moving platform or cage for carrying passengers or freight from one level to another, as in a building.
3. any of various mechanical devices for raising objects or materials.
4. a building in which grain is stored and handled by means of mechanical elevator and conveyor devices.
5. Aeron.a hinged horizontal surface on an airplane or the like, used to control the longitudinal inclination and usually placed at the tail end of the fuselage.
6. See elevator shoe.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.