Pronunciation: (el'ē-ut, el'yut), [key]
1. Charles William, 1834–1926, U.S. educator: president of Harvard University 1869–1909.
2. George (Mary Ann Evans), 1819–80, English novelist.
3. John (“the Apostle of the Indians”), 1604–90, American colonial missionary.
4. Sir John, 1592–1632, English statesman.
5. T(homas) S(tearns) Pronunciation: (stûrnz), [key] 1888–1965, British poet and critic, born in the U.S.: Nobel prize 1948.
6. a male given name, form of Elias.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.