Pronunciation: (i-liz'u-buth), [key]
1. Douay Bible.Elisabeth.
2. (Elizaveta Petrovna) 1709–62, empress of Russia 1741–62 (daughter of Peter the Great).
3. (Pauline Elizabeth Ottilie Luise, Princess of Wied) (“Carmen Sylva”) 1843–1916, queen of Rumania 1881–1914 and author.
4. (Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon) 1900-2002, queen consort of George VI of Great Britain (mother of Elizabeth II).
5. Saint, 1207–31, Hungarian princess and religious mystic.
6. a city in NE New Jersey. 106,201.
7. a female given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “oath of God.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.