Pronunciation: (el'zu-vēr", -vur, -su-), [key]
1. Louis, c1540–1617, Dutch printer: founder of a printing firm at Leyden (1591?) that was operated by his descendants through the 18th century.
2. a book produced by this printing house.
3. a style of printing type with firm hairlines and stubby serifs.
1. of or pertaining to the Elzevir family or the books it published.
2. indicating the type originated by this family. Also,Elsevier,El'ze•vier".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.