Pronunciation: (i-mûrj'), [key]
—v.i., e•merged, e•merg•ing.
1. to come forth into view or notice, as from concealment or obscurity: a ghost emerging from the grave; a ship emerging from the fog.
2. to rise or come forth from or as if from water or other liquid.
3. to come up or arise, as a question or difficulty.
4. to come into existence; develop.
5. to rise, as from an inferior or unfortunate state or condition.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.