Pronunciation: (em-fat'ik), [key]
1. uttered, or to be uttered, with emphasis; strongly expressive.
2. using emphasis in speech or action.
3. forceful; insistent: a big, emphatic man; I must be emphatic about this particular.
4. very impressive or significant; strongly marked; striking: the emphatic beauty of sunset.
5. clearly or boldly outlined: It stands, like a great, stone dagger, emphatic against the sky.
6. Gram.of or pertaining to a form used to add emphasis, esp., in English, stressed auxiliary do in affirmative statements, as in He did call you or I do like it.
7. Phonet.having a secondary velar articulation, as certain dental consonants in Arabic.
an emphatic consonant.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.